Monday, July 27, 2009

Let's Start The Wave


Post Rossport Addendum: So there was this wave,... about 150 yards off shore... it would show up about every 5 minutes and get our attention by rising up about 5 ft and crashing its white cap on the surrounding water.


Jan was fishing from shore and needed her lure unstuck so I hopped into the boat and rescued the lure. I paddled over to the next island and up and down our island but being somewhat of an Adrenalin junkie, on the way back the attraction of the wave was too much.


The wave was a reaction to the swells that were coming off of the big part of the lake. When an extra-big set of 3 or 4 swells would show up, so would this wave. It was about 150 yrds off of the point at the end of our bay. I paddled up close to it and watched. I tried to get as close as possible but not too close. The exact spot of the wave was somewhat nebulous but after a while I could see the some turbulence from the rock that was creating it.


Playing with the wave was quite a rush because it would not come at me the same way every time. Sometimes the main part of the wave would rise up but a side wave would attack at a slight angle. If I get this opportunity some time in the future, I think that I'll practice my reaction and bracing by backing up the wave and see if I can stay up right or see if the bad boy can knock me over. I definitely found about this "sneaking up from behind" subject on last years May Day trip.


QOD: Those who dream by day are cognizant of the many things which escape those who dream only by night. Edgar Allen Poe (1809-1849)

No comments: